Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #14
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft67 View Post
Excited about my first trip to Saratoga and looking for tips on how to navigate a big day. Grabbed a single clubhouse seat for Whitney day. It's a day trip, driving about 3.5 hours each way from the west.

I've been to the Preakness twice and Belmont once (for Justify's win), so I'm somewhat familiar with big track days, but I had my plans more sorted for those.

Parking. I don't mind paying, walking, or shuttling to avoid traffic, but hard to tell when lots open, when they fill, when they just become inaccessible. I can arrive pretty early despite my commute.

Biding time. Assuming I can park early, where's a good place to hang out and handicap until the gates open? Where's a good spot to cool down and let the crowd thin out before heading home?

Wagering. What's the outlook for cellular or WiFi to bet on Whitney day? I'm guessing WiFi craps out before cellular mid-card, just when lines get prohibitively long at the windows. I'm a vertical player and do most of my betting reasonably close to post time on my mobile. I've never used a terminal. But I do have a NYRA Bets account (it didn't help with mobility on Belmont day), and I can adjust.

Talking Horses. Shouldn't be hard to find on site, but wondering where I might take in the show to actually pay attention, take a few notes.

Those are the things I thought to ask about, but grateful for any general tips you have to enjoy a prime day at Saratoga.
My two cents:

You have a seat- that is good since you are coming from a distance. I expect that day to be a madhouse if the weather is good.

Betting: When betting on track I prefer to use the NYRA betting card. No tickets to worry about and also sometimes the machines get jammed. When they do, the card still works. I can't tell you how many times I've walked up to a machine with a blinking red light that had no line, used the card and it worked.

Parking: I almost always use a house lot along Nelson Ave or the street immediately behind it (I believe it is Jackson) between Wright St (name of street by the Trackside Grill that leads to the Clubhouse gate) and the Horseshoe (Gridley St, which leads to the backstretch entrance by the 7F chute). My guess is the lots closest to Wright St will be $30-$40 that day. Closer to the Horseshoe more like $15-$20. I've never parked in a lot at someone's home before say 11am, but some may be going earlier than that. One option could be at the Oklahoma Track, but not sure when they let you in there.

Pre-Racing: Very much depends on how you define "early". I agree w/TLG's sentiments- downtown, Congress Park or even the Farmers' Market on High Rock Ave behind the Saratoga Hilton wouldn't be bad options to grab a bite/coffee, a bench and handicap. If I were in your shoes, I'd aim to get into town by about 9am and go to the Farmers' Market (I like the Country Corner Cafe on Church St but may be crowded and have a wait). Last time I went to the Farmers Market (2019) they had some stands with prepared foods, breakfast sandwiches, etc. You'd have the option of a very pleasant walk to and from the track if you so chose (I have done it from the Farmers' Market via East Ave past Oklahoma). If you are arriving closer to 10 and/or want to park once near the track the options are more limited. I'd probably have coffee/drink in hand before parking and sit in a portable chair someplace near the track to handicap before the gates open at 11. There aren't a ton of options near the track other than bars TLG alluded to. I used to grab breakfast at the Horseshoe, but last time I did that was at least 5 years ago https://www.thehorseshoeinn.com/menus/

Apre-racing: See TLG comments

Having a seat and presumably no cooler resolves 75% or more of the planning otherwise required if you are looking for a table/spot and have a cooler. I usually carry in but it is almost refreshing to go in with nothing but your PPs. You will have a great time (I plan to be there, too and hopefully that entire week of racing).
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)