Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 05:04 PM   #7
judehaz

As an avid Saratoga fan, and someone who lived in nearby Clifton Park for seven years, I think your Saratoga experience is completely up to you and your preferences.

Parking: You can park in the NYRA lots and pay various amounts to be a range of closeness to the track. When I was in my 20s, I always got to Saratoga super early and found street parking and walked to the track. Now that I'm an old guy in my late 30s, I usually pay about $10 to park in someone's lawn for the shorter walk.

Bidding Time/Hanging Out: Saratoga is usually hot as hell in August for most of the meet. Obviously weather varies, but a real feel in the low to mid 90s should be your expectation for Whitney day. When I lived near the track I loved going in September because it was cooler. I am also very sensitive to the heat, so YMMV. As far as where to hang out, there are a number of premium seating options available, but these are probably selling very fast for Whitney day. I always liked to find a spot in the shade in the backyard and walk trackside for the post parade and race. There are also random benches and bucket chairs in the building that are first come first serve. The convention is that you can drop your stuff down (cooler, lawn chairs, table if you're getting fancy) and nobody will disturb it. A newspaper conventionally saves your spot for one of the non-reserved chairs or bench areas. Be careful not to sit on the benches near the racing office and the really old tote board - I got into an unfortunate and regrettable argument with a horseman long ago by making this mistake.

Again remembering that Saratoga is about your unique experience, I would recommend getting there somewhat early and finding a nice spot you like and setting down your camp. Remember you can bring food and beverages in, so no need to ever buy a beer or anything else unless you want to. Large coolers are not allowed in the building technically, but people bring smaller ones in and put them under/behind the aforementioned bench and chair areas. Breakfast at the track is also an amazing experience if they are still doing it due to COVID. You can get to Saratoga super early, reserve a spot on your way into breakfast by putting some stuff down, enjoy the ponies jogging and some commentary with breakfast, and then leave. You reenter a few hours later when the gates open and voila, your stuff is where you left it and you didn't have to run for a spot.

You should buy the Saratogian from one of the kids and get a pink sheet (ONE DOLLAR!, still, I hope) if only for the experience.

Wagering: Lines can get really long, especially close to post. I typically use NYRABets on my phone and have never had a problem with having good enough cell service to get a bet through. The machines in the building upstairs and around the betting carnival tents on the outskirts are less busy than the "main" bank of tellers and machines along the middle of the first floor of the building.

Talking Horses: has always been by the paddock. When I visited in 2019 Andy and Gabby were happy to chat with me for a few moments after the show. You really couldn't hear it very well from where fans can be, though.

Other Random Thoughts: You gotta try water from the big red spring. Try to go near the winner's circle and say hi/get your picture with Sam the Bugler. He also roves the grounds sometimes and serenades the crowds. He's delightful. If you or your kids if you have them want to get autographs, (again, pre COVID) you can, because the jockeys walk right from the track to the jock room. There's a red "jockey lane" on the pavement that is lined. Don't walk across/right after a race.

Just have a really, nice time and, as us Pittsburghers like to say, don't be a jagoff. 99.9% of my interactions at Saratoga have been great, and the few that haven't have probably been my fault. People are there to have a good time, relax, and spend a day at the track. It's one of my favorite places on earth.

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions. Enjoy!
judehaz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)