Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #40
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Gary Contessa's opinion matters to NYRA about as much as that of Dilanesp. Hell, they had roughly the same win percentage at Saratoga last year.

More importantly, if you don't run at Saratoga, the racing at Belmont will NEVER be of the same caliber during that time period. Even if you bumped the purses up for the "Saratoga at Belmont" portion of the meet. Kentucky horsemen are not going to ship horses to Belmont for a "Saratoga at Belmont" meet. The prestige and allure of winning at Saratoga is gone. I understand the hang-ups for the virus,
Gary Contessa's opinion may mean little to NYRA, but the mathematics of moving trainers, horses, their families, backstretch employees, and equipment are 100% certain and apply to virtually everyone going there. That even includes a total non entity like me that might ship two horses up there that I own 10% of.

Unless things change, in all probability I won't be able to see them race, won't be able to attend the races, won't vacation there, and won't be hanging out in town restaurants and bars the way I usually do.

Why spend the extra money to ship to Sataoga?

And my extra expense won't even be close to trainers, their families, and others where the costs are significant.

Because of the Saratoga logo?

If we do it, it will be against our wishes.

I agree that if they ran Saratoga at Belmont the purses would have to be the same, but I see no reason they wouldn't be except for some funky "brand math" that may not even be accurate.

I see no reason people from KY, CA, and elsewhere won't ship in to Belmont to win prestigious races like the Travers, Whitney, Alabama etc.. because of the logo. Those races would have enormous value to whoever wins them no matter where they are run.

There is a 0% chance my handle will be different at Belmont vs Saratoga on the typical day given the same races.

Trainers are shipping top horses to OP from everywhere now because they are seeking out the best opportunity available. Saratoga at Belmont would still be the best game in town in the east and the best game in the entire country on many big race days.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass here, but the pro Saratoga people are making branding handle "assumptions" and not thinking about costs and risks which are certain at all.

The better argument in favor of Saratoga is that the Belmont turf courses won't be able to handle the load and will need a break.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 05-04-2020 at 10:22 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)