Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #382
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
You don't know anything about what I do to help kids except what I post here. But I post here to point out all the bigotry and prejudice that is posted.

As far as a dangerous journey, all you have to do is to look at the founding of this country. Jamestown in 1607 which was founded after the failed attempt at Roanoke in 1585. Or the Pilgrims landing in 1620. And all the other Europeans that followed. Do you think those parents should have been punished for bringing those children across the Atlantic in fairly small sailboats. I'm sure some of them sank. Hell, the Titantic sank. Airplanes crash. Trains crash. Cars crash. Life is dangerous. Sacajawea dragged a newborn across the country on horseback, in a canoe, and on foot. Was she just another working mom or an American hero?

People who were willing to make that difficult journey to the new world are now celebrated as brave pioneers. And that goes right back to the Machiavelli quote I posted earlier about the means justifying the ends:

"Moreover, in the actions of all men, and most of all of Princes, where there is no tribunal to which we can appeal, we look to results. Wherefore if a Prince succeeds in establishing and maintaining his authority, the means will always be judged honourable and be approved by every one."

Those early settlers are the princes. Sure, the Native Americans who were conquered may not feel the princes were honorable. In the end, the King of England did not feel the American Colonialists were honorable, but those colonialists are celebrated today. Just as the Cubans who escaped on rafts and made the trip to the U.S. are celebrated for escaping from Castro's grip. Many women and children made that dangerous journey across 90 miles of open water to escape poverty and oppression for a chance at better life in America.

The quality in people who are willing to sacrifice everything to escape oppression to come to America is what makes America great. Most of those people are hard workers -- probably harder working on average than the average person born in America. Because the immigrants are driven to build a better life than what they know is possible.

That's why what happened in the early colonial days is completely relevant to what is going on today. Same story. Different people.
I’m constantly amazed at the people who liken illegal aliens today with those who moved to a new country. No, it’s not the same. At all. It’s 300 million people later, and decades and centuries later, and it’s after a country has been established for a long time and has border and immigration laws.

EVERY land was first established by “immigrants”. We are not special in that regard, nor are we any more beholden to immigrants than any other land in the world. So stop with the nonsense.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most