Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Religious
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #25305
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire
May I ask what is the point? Mr. Harris stated science is not opposed to the idea of consciousness surviving after death. Does that not mean science is still open to the idea? He also stated that there is a weight of evidence against it as of now. I agree with him.

If this video is a response to my postings, could you explain to me what is the point?
I thought the point was quite obvious. After watching it again I still think so.

This "idea of consciousness surviving after death" brings up the question brings up the question of what is the function of the brain? In a previous post I brought up the case of Phineas Gage who had a rod driven through his skull, taking out part of his brain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage

Quote:
Phineas P. Gage (1823 – May 21, 1860) was an American railroad construction foreman remembered for his improbable[B1]:19 survival of an accident in which a large iron rod was driven completely through his head, destroying much of his brain's left frontal lobe, and for that injury's reported effects on his personality and behavior over the remaining twelve years of his life—​​effects sufficiently profound (for a time at least) that friends saw him as "no longer Gage."
I brought up this incident in March of last year. Boxcar's explanation of Mr. Gage's personality change was that Mr. Gage had a bad hair day.

Digression: This statement by boxcar is unbelievable. The best this so-called-Christian from Swampland can do is to trivialize Mr. Gage's tragic accident by calling it a bad hair day. Unbelievable! End of digression.

Boxcar never answered my question "what is the function of the human brain?" Post #17926.

But enough about boxie.

There is a nexus between NDEs, Mr. Gage's tragedy, the "idea of consciousness surviving after death" and Mr. Harris's video. The evidence is overwhelming that the brain is a necessary element for thought. We can map the brain and know that certain mental functions are carried out by certain parts of the brain.

Can you cite any case of an NDE where the subjects brain was fully functional during the experience? You cannot! (If you think you can, speak up.) Every subject of an NDE was suffering from a condition where the brain was not fully functional. That fact alone should raise red flags all over. Yet believers are so eager to believe that they are willing to accept claims without checking them out.

Is it possible for consciousness to survive when the brain dies? If so then that implies that the brain is not necessary for consciousness. But that raises the question of why behavior can be so dramatically altered by damage to the brain?

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)