Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #28
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
As a weekend clerk I can tell you that the biggest complaint we get every Derby day is the absence of the ten cent super. I easily heard it 25 times at my window last Saturday. I believe lower base bets are what the majority of fans want. Twenty cent pick fours on harness, Australian racing and at most Canadian tracks are also very popular.
I think the key there is "the majority of fans." Of course the majority of people would also be happy if a Big Mac cost a dollar and soda machines were a quarter. It is possible to actually calculate pricing that would maximize handle (which would maximize profit) and that is where the minimums should be set. Asking your average low-handle bettor where to set minimums wouldn't necessarily be in the best interests of those bettors or racing.

I remember once at Saratoga two older guys are talking and one of the guys says he bet a 10-cent superfecta. He shows his friend his ticket and sure enough he had one 10-cent superfecta. Now if you ask that guy he'd be very supportive of the 10-cent superfecta, especially considering he could bet every race that day for less than he paid to get into the track.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)