Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
craigbraddick

I have been closely involved with the players in this as I left my last job to become the Announcer at Yavapai Downs this year.

Myself and the new GM were misled by the former financial people and the board of directors who were at best incompetent and willfully ignorant.

Over the years, a lot of money has gone astray and there seems to be no interest in an investigation at this time as to where it went. The Board of Directors knew nothing about racing and believed what they were told by the former Comptroller. When it came to light that there were (ahem) "financial irregularities" the Board continually told the new GM, me and others that money was available, we would still be racing, go ahead, etc. In the end, money was not available.

There was a property tax issue that was not addressed that was the fault of the board of directors. When the taxes went up, they used that a an excuse that we may not run. I happened to meet the County Tax Assessor at a TV station where we were to be guests on the same show and I (the humble Announcer) proposed an idea that she said would be acceptable to her and the tax code. If I can do that in fifteen minutes, why could the board of directors not have done that in nine months?

Many people have suffered greatly. My career is back at square one again, not to mention the big financial loss I have suffered that has taken a toll on myself and my family. The same for many horsemen. Many of who were openly hostile and I, as well as the new staff there, took the shouting and listened and tried to help as best we could.

Alas, the Board of Directors never faced the music as we repeatedly did. Neither did one of them ever apologize for the failure they were ultimately responsible for. And in many ways, I think that is what hurts the most.

We even got state approval for a daily 11% Pick Five. The new GM, myself, the new Racing Secretary and the Mutuels person literally were working regular 15-18 hour days to make it happen. In the end we failed because we were given a situation fr worse than we were led to believe and assurances were not met.

There are many questions to be asked. Though now lawyers are involved and Andy Tobin (speaker of the house in AZ) does not feel an investigation is needed. However, a federal investigation may take place as the USDA is owed about 14 million in a loan Yavapai never once paid back on.

I gave my heart and soul to that place in the time I was there. The new GM and the people he had around him were and are great people and we were all committed and dedicated. If new owners are found and they keep us, they will have a winner on their hands.

This has just been such a sad episode. I have cried many tears for the people hurt by this (including myself and I am ashamed to say at times that means I have wallowed in self pity.) I just hope the people responsible for this mess get their comeuppance and the people hurt by this mess will be given another chance to shine, be it at Yavapai or elsewhere.

Any questions and I will be pleased to answer them as best I can, Remembering, I no longer work there and in no way represent Yavapai Downs now.

Craig

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)