Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #56
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Unless things have changed recently, no information about the gun goes to the feds. The background check just does an automated look-up to see if your name in on the list of people that are prohibited to buy. The feds don't even know if the purchase was actually made, only that a check took place. And they are forbidden by law to store that data.

Also, if a state requires a state permit to purchase (some states only require it for hand guns), no federal background check is required.

Attempts to strengthen the requirements, such as background checks for private sales, have always died a quick death in Congress. A Dem proposal a few years back was so draconian it would have required a father to get a background check on his son before giving him a gun.
And ultimately that's why this stuff is always destined to fail. It becomes a emotional issue vs. a practical common sense one.

I'm aware the feds don't keep the record on the gun but the dealer is required to so why not just stick it into a database or worst case allow the justice to work backward. Firearm sales records are accessed by investigators all the time already. They talked to the gentleman that sold Paddock the guns in a matter of a couple days.

I recall that law and it was absurd. I have a lot of hand me downs and I wouldn't expect to have to go through loopholes for it. Thats why you create something voluntary and not draconian. Gun ownership is a right but it can also be a responsibility. Most leftist ideas though simply harm law abiding citizens while largely neglecting the larger issue of how bad people get them.

(I do realize we are on the same side of this issue and probably don't disagree on nearly anything.)

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 10-07-2017 at 01:38 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)