Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: RTN
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2022, 08:56 AM   #24
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsemenHeist View Post
insightful about the industry Joyce
I will simply say that off camera he was not the "all is wonderful" mouthpiece that the TVG people are more or less required to be on camera. He's not in a journalist/news role on TVG - none of them are. They are PR spokespeople. There will be insights from some of them, but only ones with a positive spin. I don't expect a lot more than fluff on TVG, and I'm hardly ever disappointed. Since I don't need to hear a lot of fluff - I consume my racing TV content via RTN instead (to return it to the subject of the thread).

We know it's not just TVG. Was watching another track yesterday afternoon (on RTN - two thread points now ) and the announcer was talking about his selection in a race, trained by someone who'd taken a hiatus from training for about 5 years, had recently come back and was doing well (20% winners). I wasn't paying close attention but overheard that the trainer had spent time as a "motivational speaker and preacher" during his hiatus. I'm a pastor, so of course I find the horse trainer/preacher connection interesting and look the guy up - maybe he's got an interesting story, maybe a guy I'd like to follow, even meet.

Well, the most recent news items that came up in my search were from 2016, and included a mug shot of him after being arrested and accused of some missing money and some missing horses. As with the CJ McMahon attempted murder arrest in La. from early 2021 - there's no news of any outcome from the charges that I can find. So all I can do is surmise the nature of this trainer's hiatus. But that was not going to come from the track announcer - and I don't expect it to. It's my "business" to be in favor of the repentant being given another chance, so I don't know enough to judge the trainer's situation any further. The track mouthpiece was just handling the PR points.

Last edited by BarchCapper; 08-02-2022 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Clarification
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)