Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Based upon the response of this board, I may have to reconsider the idea of trying to make this happen.

The people who are known to us on THIS board may very well have the ability to draw from THIS board, but (no offense meant here) people like Thaskalos and Aner are just not household words that will fill enough seats to justify this endeavor.

Let me ask a slightly different but more obvious question:

"Who would you be willing to PAY to hear talk at a Live, On-line Handicapping Exposition?"

Would you PAY for a group comprised of the following people (alphabetical order):

Group A
Aner
CJ
Craven
DaHoss
Delta Lover
Game Theory
Kipness
Mark Goldie
Platt
Raybo
Schwartz
Thaskalos

I mean no disrespect to these guys but I was thinking more along the lines of:

Group B
Beyer
Brohamer
Free
Kipness
Litfin
Pizzolla
Quinn
Schwartz
Serling
Trifecta Mike

So, the real question is in the poll.
A bit of advice. I think few would pay to listen to a number of people expounding on the use of statistics in racing, as interesting as that might be to computer handicappers. No one wants to pay good money to hear an expert destroy his or her cherished illusions about small sample models.

Similarly, aside from bragging rights (as in "I was at Handicapping Expo 2020, and I heard yada yada say blah blah" or whatever), I don't think that people who are primarily turf writers would do more than re-run stuff they have already written. Re-cycled Handicapping 101, as others have indicated elsewhere.

If you want to put together something useful and valuable (and well worth paying for), bypass the panel that uses such venues as product or service promotion, and find the likes of Paul Mellos. Fill in information gaps, rather than putting together a group of people promoting their latest books, DVDs, or whatever else they are selling. The Handicapping Expos were a great idea handled poorly.

Paul Mellos would be on top of a very short list. You might consider others of his caliber, most likely Australian or British. Along with someone extremely knowledgable about the specifics techniques of analyzing races at Sha Tin and Happy Valley.

Last edited by traynor; 12-13-2012 at 06:40 PM.
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement