Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 10:56 PM   #32
Achilles

My hoops watching days.............

This is a really good thread. I really did a double-take when I saw the picture above. There must be thousands like it in family rooms all over this country. Every high school shooting guard has at least one memorable game in his career, and they memorialize that event by framing their local newspaper's article about it and displaying it among all the pictures of family and friends that we put on display in our homes.

My high school sports career was one of spectating. I got to see Wilt Chamberlain lead Overbrook High to a win over my Allentown (Pa.) High School team in the annual Eyeglass Fund charity game. I was standing for the whole game, three deep in the balcony of the "Little Palestra". I recall that Overbrook had a red-headed point guard leading their fast break, and AHS played a "collapsing" defense against Wilt. A few years later, I was sorting mail over Christmas break with a guy who played in that game. "I fouled him six or seven times myself," is what I remember him telling me.

I also saw Billy Packer (Yes.......that Billy Packer) launch his jump shot in the Palestra. A three point line did not exist then, but he would have lobbied for a six and nine point line. No distance was too far for him.

Great memories.............JK

-----Being unable to assume an initial premise with any tolerable degree of accuracy, I am loathe to assert a conclusion, fearful lest I should err.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)