Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: ADPA Focus 2000
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #12
KyRacer

Well, I finally figure out why Bris's Single File format quit loading into the Focus program. I can now load and run the files. So I've learned something new. The Bris files quit loading several years ago, maybe 9 or 10 years ago, and it was probably because Bris started using a different program to zip up the files. I thought a zip file was a zip file, but apparently not so.

Focus won't open a file that was zipped up with a 64 bit version of whatever compression utility that is used. It either hangs or pops up an error message. It uses a file in its folder called wizzip16.dll to unzip the file from within the program. That looks like a 16 bit utility. The Bris file has to be zipped when it's loaded into the program. It would have been easier if Focus could load unzipped files.

I use 7zip. Once the file is the proper Focus folder on Windows XP, I then unzip it using 7zip and rezip it again with 7zip. This is an older version of 7zip. The program will then load and run normally. I do this within Windows XP virtual machine.

If I unzip the file on my Windows 10 64 bit computer first using 7zip(64 bit version) and then rezip it before moving it to Windows XP, then it won't load into the Focus program. The same is true for the zip programs that come with W10 and XP.

The Bris files have the letter k in its name. When I zip it back up it doesn't include the K. You can either rename the file including the K or just set Focus on the configure screen to load the file without the K.

It loads and runs with the Bris single files now. That's as far as I can or need to go. I don't have the skills to crack the program to get it to run on other computers. Maybe there's some other old programs that have problems with zipped files that this can help. I hope this made sense.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)