Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 09:27 AM   #50
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by drib View Post
I have come across two interesting anecdotes in scientific discussion about bisphosphonates:
An orthopedic physician said he normally treats patients who have broken their femur (thigh bone) with 2 months no weight bearing and 2 months crutches. For those who have taken bisphosphonates, he has found it necessary to prescribe 8 months no weight and 8 months crutches.
A veterinarian recently gave a seminar on bisphosphonates, during which he asked how many attendees had used the drug; five raised hands. After the meeting, he was approached by about 25 other vets, asking whether there was a test for the drug. I am fascinated by this second group. Were they concerned about their equine patients' possible exposure or were they trying to find out if the drug could be used without getting a positive?
Based upon many years of horse race experience, my guess is it was about 50-50.
well it is possible they wanted to know if there was a test so that if they encountered horses that were recent purchases by their clients, they could determine if they had been given the drug since it changes the way they remedy bone issues. I'm sure some were probably what your thinking but there are also no doubt other reasons too.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)