Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
drib

Bisphosphonates and Santa Anita

Discussions of the rash of Santa Anita deaths seem to overlook that 5 were in turf races and 6 in main track events. The number of dirt runners since Xmas is many time higher than turf, especially considering that, this year, the rain switched so many races to dirt. The racing surface may not the problem, especially when all the experts can find nothing wrong.
My attention has turned to the bisphosphonate drugs, Tildren, and Osphos. Google them for a complete discussion, but briefly, the drug has a short term positive effect on bone structure, but long term negativity. It has been described as the new "rage" in baby sales b/c it firms up bones, making them look better on pre-sale Xrays; The drug is also a potent pain reliever (infamous Clenbuterol was an analgesic beyond respiratory effects), which allows better movement in consigned young horses. When administered, the drug only lasts 90 minutes in blood, but adheres to bone for many months. Its long term effects are negative for skeletal strength, and, in England, its use has been restricted to older horses. Bisphosphonate improves lameness and soreness, but there is a debate whether this is a result of bone-properties or just pain relief. With its very short life in blood, the drug has been described as very difficult to find in testing. The only sure way is bone biopsy. I have been unable to find a report of a post race positive for bisphosphonate anywhere.
In summary, here we have a potent pain reliever that may not be detectable in race horses. Its use in babies is well known, with resultant long term danger for trainers who don't even know if their charges were given the drug. Given how well it improves sore race horses, and it seems to be undetectable, it would be no surprise if trainers were using this drug.
My question is whether the necropsies done on the dead SA horses included tests for this drug. I am not naive enough to think that bisphosphonates are the answer to the SA puzzle, but this, and other drugs could be a factor.
drib is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement