Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
Spiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goren
It has been that way since I first started betting horses in 1964. I learned very early in life not to chase big payoffs. As much as I like betting on horses, I don't think they should change the laws to promote gambling. Gambling in my book should be tolerated, not encouraged by governments.
The IRS code, regarding reporting of losses v. winners, is totally inequitable. For winning: I lose $5,450 standard deduction that could be used for a tax refund. I really think that the code was changed within the past 5-15 years when levels of what amount is required to be a signer and what triggers automatic tax withholding.

Racing industry has had double-digit loss in handle. They promote winning P6 and other large pool bets. Little is known that a player(who does not itemize tax return) will lose about $1,000 in tax refund ability by winning.

The IRS code slams horseplayers. A player loses thousands of dollars by the method required to report losses. Certainly, it is cause to pause about betting large pool betting opportunities.
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)