Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 08:06 AM   #7
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Same here. I was a kid watching these great players. It's sad, yet alarming.

Here's my Hank Aaron story. Keep in mind IMO he's one of the best hitters (let alone power hitter) of all time....

In the mid 70s MLB was struggling to put people in the seats. One of the gimmicks was to hold "home run contests" 30 minutes before the 1rst pitch. This was pretty popular in Arlington. Each participant got 10 pitches from his pitching coach. Batter w/ the most HRs won

In 1976 the Rangers and Brewers had a series in Arlington, a HR contest with Jeff Burroughs & Tom Grieve vs Hank Aaron & Bobby Darwin was scheduled

Hank's turn comes up. People are RAMPED UP bigtime....Everyone is expecting a show. .. I think he only sent 1 over the wall. Maybe 2. Most didn't get anywhere near the warning track. After the 10th pitch he walked back to the dugout, disgusted that he had to even be there. He rec'd polite applause, the fans appreciated his career but felt his embarrassment

Why he was asked to do that contest, at age 40+ is beyond me. He should have declined. No doubt each contestant got a coupla hundred bucks, but his pride was hurt and we all felt for him.

Sadly, that's my memory of him. Great player tho. RIP
I have a similar story with a different outcome. The summer of 74, Hank was making his last appearance in Philly as a Brave. I went to see him with my then pregnant wife.

Before that game, Hank faced three old timers, Robin Roberts, Bobby Shantz and Curt Simmons, all three were close friends of my BIL, and Hank took them deep three or four times with five pitches from each. Supposedly, Hank owned HOFamer, Roberts during his career, but Bobby who was an MVP, not so much. Both Curt, 91 and Bobby, 95 are still around. Robin passed away two months before my BIL
I have 35 mm pics of Hank connecting on a few pics that day. They're pretty faded now. RIP to a class guy.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)