Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Do you think Grape Juice was the first racist horse name?

How many anti-Hispanic slurs do you think get thrown around the backstretch by white trainers here in California?

I agree with you that younger generations are getting better. But I think the target of EG's racism working for a powerful actor in the racing industry has a lot to do with why he is being (correctly) punished. Racism directed at less powerful targets gets ignored all the time.
If I had to guess I would say no, but I don't think there are a bunch of racist names floating around out there. I honestly would have never know Grape Juice was racist if Guillot had not opened his idiotic mouth about it, and I'm sure there are other veiled names out there most wouldn't get.

Surely you don't think the Jockey Club approves names they know are racist but that can probably slide by. That would be condoning racism. I think it is very difficult job that could probably be automated to a great extent to flag anything possibly racist or otherwise inappropriate, but even then some would slip by. Any believe it or not, many names submitted that could be problematic are probably not done with bad intentions. I could have easily submitted the name Grape Soda for a horse with no bad intentions whatsover.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)