Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #15
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Even though it's 12% pool size is probably small. Ran into similar with Canterbury P4's and 5's. Not worth playing into small pool IMO
Small pools sizes do suck because every time you hit you slice the pie. For instance last night was a $6000 pool, it paid $1800. IF you hit, the $1800 becomes $1350. But you do something like this at a Saratoga, with a 12 horse field and the pools should be huge and a lot of fun and opportunity for small players

Also, on the other hand with small pools you can scoop a pool or get a big chunk of one on a fairly easy to hit combo, so it works both way. Also I think the small pools probably chase a lot of sharper bettors away making your competition a lot easier to beat.

The recreational player already has no chance. Do they get anything? Most racetracks have one low takeout bet, a 50 cent pick 5. For the typical recreational player putting in $24 to $36(which is probably hefty for many of them) they will lose day after day. That affords them a ticket of say 3x3x4x2x1. Which give them at best .7*.7*.75*.5*.4 or about a 7.5 % chance of hitting. On a bad streak they can go 30 or 40. in a row without hitting. If they throw in some value horses there chances of hitting goes way down and the streaks can get worse. When they stick with the obvious, even when they hit, they do not get back much(since they are doing the same thing that other small bettors are doing). I know players like the low takeout pick 5 as do I, but there is absolutley no logic in putting the low takeout on a pick 5 instead of a pick 4 if you want to increase the longevity of the recreational player.

A low takeout 20 cent super would be good for all players, big and small alike, as would a 20 cent pick six etc. If the big players aren't interested who cares, they have betting opportuniies and rebates all day long. Give the small recreational a player a chance to make money and have fun without paying an extra 30%(or whatever) jackpot tax. Even if the tracks can show me data that they get significantly more money bet on a jackpot type wager, I simpy rebut the harm done to your betting base far exceeds any benefits the track receives with extra betting.

The sport cannot grow on its existing customer base(which diminishes every year). It has to build and nurture a new one.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)