Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #43
badcompany

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG

On that subject; the famous poker player Daniel Negreanu has a philosophy called “small ball”. I don’t pretend to know my poker terminology but it’s somewhat seeing many flops / as cheaply as possible and trying to out play your opponents as the hand develops.

Long / poorly explained way of saying; “usually” the more wagering opportunities you offer a serious player / the more likely they are to take advantage and get involved. If you’re saying someone who is at a disadvantage before the cards are dealt will be hurt by the complex wagering offered (and promoted) you could very well be right.
Since you brought up poker, I recently caught an episode of Poker after Dark. The players were all guys who got started at the Mayfair Club, a poker room in NYC, back in the day, that produced a lot of world champion players like Dan Harrington and Howard Lederer.

During the show, the guys started talking about other types gambling. To a man, they all said that they would never try to play horses professionally BECAUSE OF THE RAKE.

I would agree with your assertion that more types of wagers give a bettor more opportunities to spot inefficiences. However, with the huge takeout, these "opportunities" are just more ways for the track to sucker the public, as pointed out by DSB.
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement