Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
Maverick58034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goren
What is the point of a speed figure if you don't use a "daily track variant" ? The good thing about doing them yourself, is you know when a number might be a fluke. That said, with all the pretty good ones out there, it is probably not worth the effort, although there is something to be said for doing one for just one circuit. JMO
Totally agree with you. Stemming from that, though: Is it possible that one race has a higher varient than another race on the same day, even absent extraordinary, intervening weather conditions? Put another way, could a race earlier in the day be on a "faster track" than a race later in the day? The reason I ask is that the answer to that question impacts whether to apply an entire daily varient, as an average from each race's varient, equally to all races, or instead to apply each races varient to each individual race and no others (e.g. no averaging or general application to the entire day's races).

And going one step back, in order to calculate the varient, must you use class and distance pars? While Mr. Carroll seems skeptical of their accuracy, I can't see any other way to actually calculate a variable. I can't see how the track record time (or average of 3 fastest times over X years, etc) could help determine if today's races were run on a "faster track" than yetserdays races (or, more specifically, if race 1 today was run on a "faster track" than race 3 today).
Maverick58034 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.