Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

Thumbs up Horseplayers appreciate quality and due diligence from info sources!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Here is an example of what you have to go through to check the times for some races. You can't really see the timing equipment at some distances due to distortion due to severe angles. It is tough to see. For the Frizette, you have to piece some frames together to get them both. That is the bottom image.

There was some question as to which timing eye on the outer rail was the right one for mile dirt races. Why there are two so close I have no idea. You can usually determine the angle of the distortion and establish the beam "start timing" line by looking at the angle on the starting gate (upper right image).

In the Frizette, the group of horses in the upper left image is where timing for the race started, i.e. after run up. You get this by noting the time when the winner hits the finish line, then subtract the official time. That gives you the start.

This showed me it was clearly the left most timing eye that is correct. I used the same angle as the starting gate to see if the horses were on the line for the first timing eye, the one on the right, but they are well past. The second eye looks right to me.

When I piece the different frames together (the bottom) it is even more obvious. When the angle isn't as severe as it is for the mile dirt races at Belmont, it is usually spot on, but this was a bit tougher so it could be a few hundredths off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRF
Craig Milkowski of TimeformUS has been an industry watchdog on timing, and he was the first to suspect that something was wrong in the Champagne.
Appreciate the hard work!

I think I've got a 3 or so month streak going of consecutive 'monthly' subscriptions to TimeformUS.
It's served me well, as a relatively high quality source, and a lot of the info that I would need to search for individually (time,effort + bunch of clicks) is all in one place.

Nice to see you mentioned, and credited again, by the big dogs. I saw the https://www.drf.com/ article, as well as hearing you mentioned within the whole discussion on Talking Horses.
I've got to figure out the Steve Byk links so that I can binge 'ATR', I hear Beyer is interviewed in a current show.

» Advertisement