Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #18
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
It would be a simple question and answer if all the states played by the same rules. Personal experience with internet purchases could be completely different in different states. In the People's Republic of California we get dinged on everything and if by chance we slip through the cracks for a purchase or 2 we are required to pay the uncollected tax with our income tax returns. The volunteer rate on the uncollected sales tax mirrors the percentage of winnings volunteered from bets not requiring a W-2G.
California really is nuts about taxes.

Most Octobers we drive to Monterrey for a few days. One year we received a notice from the California Hwy patrol that demanded we register our vehicle in the state of CA because we had been "seen" several times driving around Monterrey.

They asked that we call the CHP to verify that we did not live in California.

When I called, the officer demanded that I prove we still lived in Nevada by faxing him a current power bill.

I asked:

Where was the demand letter sent? "Reno, NV"
Am I calling from a NV number? "Yes."
"Why should I have to prove that I was on vacation?"

Just nuts.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)