Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #34
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
so overall, all you're saying is that many of these racing outfits are not observing the labor laws.

(But somehow, it's the employees fault.)

Doesn't say much about the leadership and captains of these business outfits. You seem to be implying that they are being *manipulated* by their employees. which if you are a leader, doesn't happen unless you let it happen.
I didn't say it's ANYBODY'S fault. People have needs, and these needs are sometimes met by breaking existing laws. Let me put it this way:

You work for me and you do a good job...and I pay you $20 an hour for a 40 hour workweek. You come to me and tell me that you need 15 hours a week overtime in order to pay your bills...and I tell you that I don't allow overtime because I can't afford the time-and-a-half overtime pay-scale. You tell me that you don't care about the time-and-a-half...you just want the extra hours. What's the "right thing" for me to do here? Do I deny you the extra hours that you need so you can pay your bills? You are a good employee, and I don't want you to struggle financially. But I honestly may not be able to afford to be paying my employees $30 an hour for work that really deserves $20 an hour. If you don't come to me with this request, then I would never ask you to work the extra 15 hours a week. But you initiate the conversation, and you persistently ask me for the extra hours. What do I do without being the "bad guy" here?

I'm not placing "blame" on anybody in this scenario...I'm just telling you what I've seen with my own eyes during my own business travels. What looks like "willful employee underpayment" is often an arrangement which the EMPLOYEE initiates, out of a need that, unless it's met...would create considerable inconvenience for him/her. From the outside, it might look as if the boss is forcing the employees to work the extra hours for lesser-than-legal pay. But my own experience has shown me that this is usually not the case at all.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)