Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: ADPA Focus 2000
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 01:19 AM   #6
KyRacer

I know I should leave this program dead and buried, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. If you still have your registered copy, still on the same computer/hard drive and it will open up, you may be able to bring it over to your modern computer using Vmware to run it as a virtual machine. I was able to do that and got it to run. But it's a hassle.

Vmware has a converter that makes a copy of your whole machine and turns it into a virtual machine. I believe Focus is tied to the hard drive so I didn't know if it would work. My computer was old and the hard drive was on its last legs so I gave it a try. This was a few years ago. Surprisingly it worked and my Windows XP came back to life as a virtual machine. All my programs were still there.

The question was would Focus work. It did. This is not a program I used very much. I was using something I liked better. But occasionally I would try it out for the Derby and the Triple Crown and Breeders Cup races just to see how it did along with some other programs.

Then a few years ago it quit working. It couldn't import the files. I kind of gave up on it until recently. There must have been a change in the Bris single file that Focus didn't like. I thought maybe I screwed up the program or my Virtual machine. So I set the time back on the virtual computer a few years and tried to load an old file. It loaded and ran normally.

What I needed was the Bris single file without the new stuff they added in. I remembered a utility from Equisim's Nathan called multi to single. Set the computer back to current date and downloaded a Bris Multi File and ran it through Multitosingle and got a Bris single file. I then tried to load and run it through Focus. It worked. I tried it about a month ago to see if it still work and it did.

I don't know why I bothered tinkering with a program that I didn't use very much. Maybe I just didn't like paying for a program that quit working. I never put it through its proper paces to see how good it was. There's a couple of ratings and the Qualified works that pique my interest a little. I don't think it was a bad program for its time. There are just better programs out there now.

So if you still have a working copy on your old computer you might be able to bring it to life again, if it's worth it. That's my story of Focus 2000. As for Windows XP 32 bit working as a virtual machine, it's great. A lot of programs that wouldn't run on Windows 10 64 bit run on it. And it runs faster than on the original hardware. Now for a Virtual Windows Milliumium machine.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)