Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 06-04-2022, 01:17 AM   #10
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
You sound like you persevere in spite of the afflictions.

GOOD FOR YOU!

My dad used to tell me when I was young I would pay for all my sports injuries when get old. He never said it was going to hurt this bad though……..

Thanks, I am just lucky I was a hard worker when I worked for others, learned as much as I could and always put my hand up to volunteer for extra duties. I went out on my own when I was 34, started a small machine shop.

By 38 I was pretty much unemployable. I had to have a lower spine fusion, you aren't going to fake your way through a job physical with that, and no one will hire you in a manufacturing plant with that condition, even as a foreman or a plant manager that never lifts anything heavier than a pen, or a cup of coffee.

I did make my own products but the recession of 2008 wiped out my customer base, never to return. I laid off my 5 employees, gave them decent severance pay which I did not have to, reinvented myself down sized and moved across country where the cost of living is way lower than SoCal.

If it wasn't for my wide range of skills and all my equipment being paid for, my battered barely able to work ass would have to move in with my girlfriend.

She lives in a 3 story townhouse in liberal paradise in a DC suburb, and subscribes to the Washington Post. At least when equipment breaks down
I don't have to call a guy, I can fix most anything, albeit slowly with lots of cussing, saves my ass, I cannot afford big repair bills.

As for those injuries from sports catching up with you. I boxed as an amateur, I actually had a co-workers dad who trained professional fighters
told me I was over training as I just did it off and on without a trainer.
Funny thing this dude thought my workout was too much, not knowing
I had ran 3 miles and spent 2 hours lifting weights before I showed up.

If I was born 30 years later, they would have had me on elephant tranquilizers. I was just too wound up. I preferred swing shift as I could work out before work, it was much easier to concentrate when half tired.

When I worked days I would at least get up in time to run 3-4 miles and do some calisthenics before showering and going to work.

I am now 61, with a body of an 81 year old. Besides lifting heavy weights, boxing, and football, I used to like crashing dirt bikes.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)