Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #59
LemonSoupKid

Yes

Linking a lot of thinks people have said, I would like to make the following analogy. In the NFL coaches don't go for it on 4th down as much as they should. There is a good body of evidence for this. Why don't they?

Well, through the development of the league and its history teams probably shouldn't have been going for it. What remained? The "standard" notion that you shouldn't risk it --- it's not worth it. Even though the game has become more offensive, more formations are apparent with different styles of plays, heck, the rule changes have even made it more offensive.

In summary, coaches in the 50s and 60s probably were right in NOT going for it. But that remnant need not be the case right now, and it isn't necessarily the case. Just like the new training styles in racing; the layoffs, the unstarted 2 year olds, not to mention the breeding for speed vs. endurance in the modern days of racing --- these all show you how much it has changed and how it MIGHT not be right to go with historicals.

These are my thoughts. I'm echoing what a lot of people are saying. That said, how does Afleet Alex not win the Derby being much the best horse? His trip was great. Was the rail dead? He got outrun by two (relative) nags. Sometimes it's just racing, I guess. Was there something about the surface? He raced at 2, got 2nd in the BC Juvenile. Like Point Given, he just didn't fire. But boy did he fire over the next two. I think the most likely explanation is the navigation and circumstance of 20 horses and a huge crowd. Who knows.

LSK
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)