Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 03:31 AM   #18
jay68802

From CHRB 2016.

COMMISSIONER AUERBACH: Yeah. What my concern is, as with this whole rule but specifically with this, is sometimes floating is the most beautiful race riding you’ll ever see, really and truthfully. And when you put it like this it would depend upon, I think, the mindset of the stewards and what they’re looking at. And I think sometimes by trying to identify it so minutely I’m concerned that we’re going to cause more problems than we’re going to solve. That’s my concern.
COMMISSIONER SOLIS: Don’t the rules say that you’re supposed to stay in a straight line? COMMISSIONER AUERBACH: Right.
COMMISSIONER SOLIS: But floating, now that’s a way of intimidating too. I mean people don’t go on the freeway and take another car out because it’s going to cause a problem.
COMMISSIONER AUERBACH: Have you ever driven behind me?
COMMISSIONER SOLIS: I don’t know.
VICE CHAIR ROSENBERG: Madeline, I think --
COMMISSIONER SOLIS: But my point with with the floating, I mean, to me race riding is where you get a horse stuck on the inside and keep them in there. That’s, to me, that’s race riding. To me if you push a horse out, I have gone back to those barns where I push a horse out and brush them, and you go back to the barn and they’re all cut up. To me that’s not race riding, that’s careless. And floating to me is the same thing. VICE CHAIR ROSENBERG: Yeah.
COMMISSIONER SOLIS: I mean, you can call it --
CHAIRMAN WINNER: I think that’s the way the stewards felt when they, when they recommended this language. They felt that floating is exactly what --
COMMISSIONER SOLIS: It’s illegal.
CHAIRMAN WINNER: -- Commissioner Solis is saying.
COMMISSIONER SOLIS: I mean, it’s, yeah, it helps you to win races.
COMMISSIONER AUERBACH: You’ve done it, huh?
COMMISSIONER SOLIS: I mean, it’s, yeah, it helps you to win races. Yes, I have done it. But at the same time you’re taking that horse out, but that horse is going to the side. It’s not going in a straight line. If you go to the side it’s changing a different kind of stride, and that’s where they can be hurt.
VICE CHAIR ROSENBERG: And, Madeline, to float is not a penalty here. It’s not interference. You have to read of it which goes on to say, “or otherwise causing any other horse to lose stride, ground, et cetera. So it’s not just the floating, it’s the second part.
COMMISSIONER AUERBACH: I think my problem with it, Richard, is the subjectiveness, which is --
VICE CHAIR ROSENBERG: Well, it’s the system.
COMMISSIONER AUERBACH: -- in all rules.
VICE CHAIR ROSENBERG: Yeah.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most