Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: In a Slump
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 01:05 AM   #7
QuarterCrack

Slumps happen to everyone, it's part of the game.

Everybody is different, so everyone deals with them in different ways. But always remember the most crucial thing is to protect our bankroll when we feel ourselves going bad. Sure, send it in when you're on top of your game. But definitely keep your powder dry when you feel things are off-kilter.

The fact that you are able to recognize a slump is a good thing, for sure. If you develop the ability to back off and regroup a bit during those times, your bankroll will love you for that in the long run, 100 percent.

As for specific advice, it's tough because everyone has different approaches. But generally speaking:

If you feel you are disciplined enough, and you really feel compelled to focus on one track (Saratoga, for example), take a week where you handicap the races WITHOUT betting, and maybe (?) play on paper - at best. BUT really focus on racewatching. That includes the races, replays, and post parades. Just watch it all. For me personally, I find it helps ground me and refresh my focus when I am in a slump. Take the betting out of the equation and get back to basics. Work on your observation skills and when you're ready to return to playing with real money, you're not only fresh, but by that time have also probably found a few horses to put on your watchlist via your (unbiased because you're not betting) race watching.

If you don't feel you have the discipline to watch a week's worth of races without betting, that's fine - no shame in that. But in that case, just take a break. Take a week off and don't watch any races, don't handicap, don't look at PaceAdvantage, etc. etc. etc. Do something else with that time and come back a week (or two) later and you'll probably find you have a completely refreshed focus. We all definitely get stale after a certain amount of time and that can cloud our judgement.

Of course, always consider the fact that there is a ton of randomness in this game and your 'slump' may simply be an extended period of results that have been governed by randomness. It happens from time to time. Out of our control.

Good luck!
QuarterCrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)