Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #93
Ted Craven

I want to congratulate highrider for his smashing top result in this contest - well done and you have lived up here to your well chosen name! And well done Turkoman for a clear second place finish - I just could not manage to push enough of the right buttons in the final week, and you did!

As I write this, the Contest results are not yet official but it looks like 3 more players are closely ranked for 3rd overall money, with Golf and Horses the leading contender there. Congratulations!

The battle for RDSS bonus prizes was also incredibly hot with Patrick the truckdriver (pktruckdriver) and Budman in the narrowest of photos, with Patrick apparently a .40 cent whisker ahead!!? Bob Cochran rounded out the top 3 prize qualifying RDSS players. Well done all - Doc and Jimmy would be proud of you!

Thank you everyone for participating in this Contest honouring 2 of the handicapping world's great teachers: Howard Sartin and Jim Bradshaw. We hold this contest every year around now since Doc and Jimmy left us. I fancy they still cast some kind of lingering eye over this 'through a glass darkly' world of ours, perhaps holding court in the bar at Sartin Downs somewhere, wondering if we here get that the opportunity always was not just to 'predict the future', in some small way, of a herd of beautiful animals running an oval, but more importantly to contest against our inner selves for the chance to be a 'winner' in the game of life, off the track as well as on. Their generosity of spirit during their respective lives was a model to many, many people - most of whom thought they were trying to figure out horse racing, and some of whom also learned a whole lot more.

Thank you Doc and Jimmy!

If the contest rules were too hard to implement or keep track of, I accept responsibility as it was me who designed it. I confess I did not foresee all the ramifications of the initially simple sounding rules. It would be good to do a post-mortem to see how we can improve this kind of simulation of real-world betting. It did have one parallel to the real-world: you had to pay damn close attention to things to make it to the end.

A quote I like, and a signature line of a pro I admire: "It's supposed to be hard. If it was easy, everybody would do it." Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own

cheers,

Ted

Last edited by Ted Craven; 04-22-2012 at 05:55 PM.

» Advertisement