Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Derby Figs
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 08:16 AM   #19
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I think the best would be to label turn ground loss relative to the rail on both turns and let the handicapper make his own judgement on the figure.
That's the way I do it.

I make a trip note for the horse that includes ground loss on each turn and have a race card note that tells me how the races were developing at that track on that day.

The biggest problem for me is that you often get a limited number of races to watch to determine how the track was playing and the impact of ground loss is also dependent on the race dynamics. Both are somewhat subjective. So I often have a very fuzzy view. On many day at some tracks I totally ignore ground unless it was extreme or during a hot part of the race.

It's more or less like "this horse is better or worse than he looks on paper off that race", "this horse's last race can safely be tossed", "lots of horses were winning or running well with that trip that day", etc... I don't add or subtract points like Ragozin or Thorograph. I also look at the horse's prior races hoping they will help clarify how good he is.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 09-10-2020 at 08:21 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)