Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #54
MadVindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
TC or not, Justify will be gone by next Feb at the latest. These annual popularity contests are what is killing the sport. If you say, "meh," as opposed to letting yourself be manipulated by breeders into their marketing campaigns you are sneered at, because that is what this all is, a marketing campaign. Do you really think Bob Baffert really doesn't know that both Silver Charm and Real Quiet ran the Preakness a second faster than Justify, or that all of his Preakness winners but one ran it faster than Justify, when he says he's never had a horse run it as fast as Justify did?

You know the race that made me the happiest this week, the one that really is good for the sport? Soi Phet's win. Give me a 10 year old vet still cashing checks over some blink and he's gone, now horse, 3yo messiah.
Hype is hype. It's always a part of sports. I like watching horses compete passed age 3 too. I don't like looking at stakes competers pedigree and seeing a winner of three races then retired. I understand there are good reasons sometimes but it is disappointing.

Quote:
I have no doubt there will be a script for the Belmont, a gentleman's handshake as you say. I'm pretty sure that there was for the Preakness, except Good Magic was supposed to get 2nd, not 4th. Why this doesn't bother you, I don't understand.
I don't think there was a script for the Preakness. Just Ortiz's public strategy which proved the best shot at GM winning. It's obvious they weren't racing for second. I don't doubt that there's fixing in the industry at any level, actually entering a sacrifical "rabbit" is kind of like fixing to me. But that's not what Ortiz/Good Magic were doing, they competed honestly. The risk in that weather too --nothing about the race adds up that they were running to settle for second.

The shadey shit in the industry is suspicious class drops, like running unsound horses to trick naive people into claiming them by taking easy wins or just for easy wins. And of course the horses that end up in shit conditions/slaughtered. Getting retired to a wealthy breeding industry is a better alternative. So there's a probably unjustified bias against horses that eventually lose and it makes them less profitable and therefor maybe they don't pay for their upkeep. Not really the industry moguls to blame. In ways they have no choice but to retire them soon and to me that does indicate concern for the well-being of thoroughbreds and not just concern for money.

I'd like to be able to follow horses I see running the TC to later careers too but I'm not sure if it is best for them. There's no knowing, and I understand why you are cynical about forgotten champions -but they aren't the truly forgotten thoroughbreds. If they keep running and do well then become injured they still have breeding value. Because breeding animals for specific purpose always leaves them vulnerable to genetic conditions, it comes with the territory. If they keep running and do worse and worse what fate awaits them?

There's lots to love about the sport. I'm new to it and it's my first Triple Crown following, which I would enjoy seeing a Triple Crown winner with a horse like Justify, overcoming doubts about his history. He's got the great Canadian pedigree on one side.

Quote:
Bravazo has been the mystery for me, he's the only horse I really, really got wrong.
He's been inconsistent. I'm looking to see if he can keep his form like he has in the last two tough races. I think he will. But if he runs competitvely with Justify or by slim chance beats Justify will you think that Bravazo has improved or will you think Justify just isn't that great of a horse? My opinion would be the former.

Last edited by MadVindication; 05-22-2018 at 02:08 PM.
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement