Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Trayvon Martin
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #1118
boxcar

Somehow I get the feeling that Alan D has forgotten more criminal law than Jeb Bush will ever know.

But great minds think alike. Justice for all, which is what I said earlier about Justice should be blind. Justice should not favor one party over the other. When that happens, then justice becomes unrighteous in nature.

I also liked what he said about how this case can have two victims. Did everyone catch that part -- TWO victims? This implies, minimally, that the burden of moral responsibility lies with with both. And this is what I have said repeatedly, agreeing with the assessment of the writer in Daily Caller in #555. There was probably wrong-doing on Zimm's part and Martin's. Zimm started out as the "provocateur" by following and chasing Martin, but just because someone provokes another does not give anyone the right to attack the provocateur. And this is how how Zimm probably became a victim. If my assessment of Martin is correct and he launched the assault upon Zimm, then we have a classic case of two wrongs being committed in an attempt to right a wrong. If Martin had not assaulted Zimm and bashed his head into concrete, Zimm, in all likelihood, would not have shot Martin. There would have been no victims. Martin would still be alive and Zimm would be going about his life. The only thing that would have suffered in this scenario is Martin's pride.

Of course, I hear people objecting the other way -- that if Zimm hadn't acted stupidly and followed Martin, none of this would have happened. And this is true. But again -- just because Zimm "provoked" Martin, did not give the kid license to assault Zimm. That situation was not a free pass for Martin to break the law! Martin could have controlled the situation and minimized contact by taking control of it in the morally proper way. Instead, it appears that he chose to not subdue his pride and to act irresponsibly by assaulting Zimm. And for what? To show Zimm who the tough guy in the 'hood was? That was really necessary, wasn't it? Saving face by losing a life in exchange for salvaged pride really doesn't make very good sense...to me.

Boxcar

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most