Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #28
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBoyle View Post
I noticed that as well. I was getting all ready for the juicy details and they cut away.

The thing that amazes me and that I wasn't aware of before is how connected the hedge fund world is to the elite gamblers. Not just from the chat but from reading Fortunes Formula, Gambling Wizards, etc. You can pretty much trace a line from Ed Thorpe through all scientific gamblers and quantitative hedge funds.
Not to mention sports analytics. After reading "Beat the Dealer" in college back in the early 80s, it was obvious to me that using advanced statistics in the management of sports teams could give the franchise an edge.

Bill James was an early pioneer of using advanced stats in the sports area, but Thorp started it even if he didn't apply it to sports other than horse racing. Of course, Newton said, "If I have seen farther it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants."

I remember reading about how Thorp devised a strategy for backgammon. That's when it dawned on me that the same line of thought could be applied to managing a sports franchise.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)