Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
headhawg
crusty old guy

I have programmed several small-ish handicapping programs mostly for personal use or system testing. There are also a couple of programs here on PA that I developed or had a hand in, namely Handifast (helped with some of the code) and HDST, a program I developed to eliminate scratched horse data from .drf and .jcp files. Handifast was programmed in Liberty Basic, and HDST was coded in PowerBasic and EZGUI.

I tried to learn OOP using C#, and there are significant advantages to that kind of programming, but it never really clicked with me so I stuck with Basic. LB is slow so I moved on from that to PB. PB programs run really fast and are small EXEs when compiled. Professional coders probably use C/C++ but I am sure that some less complicated programs are done in Java or Python. Maybe Dave Schwartz and Jeff Platt will post in this thread as their software is professional level.

Every language has its pros and cons so choose something that fits your needs. If Pascal will work for you then use it. Learning a new language increases software development time so that is a consideration if you decide to go in a different direction.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)