Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-17-2022, 06:12 PM   #75
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I was taking about rebates. The money for rebates is not coming out of the pools. So the rebates have ZERO impact on the prices you are getting for your horses or your ROI. The only thing that's impacting the prices and your ROI is the fact that those guys are good and are making the pools more efficient.

As previously stated the rebates motivate betting actions of the rebated bettors to knock horse below break even (that contradicts your point that rebates have zero impact on the prices we are getting). The fact that they are good as you state just ensures that the non rebated public is almost guaranteed to lose long run

That doesn't prevent you from being on the same horses if you are also good. Plenty of other people are on the same horses much of the time and net out to winners, losing less than the take or the take. It's the really bad players that lose more than the take.

Yes, but if I am Joe Public (who should be the backbone of this industry), I am not getting rebates then I am looking at Monty Hall telling me behind curtain #1 is horse 3 -3%, behind curtain #2 is horse 6 at -6% and behind curtain number 3 is horse #9 at -28% and behind curtain #4 is horse at -23%. No matter what curtain Joe picks he is losing money long run. Moreover even if Joe could match handicapping wits with the guys that spend millions of dollars researching before making their first bet, Joe is not going to know what his final odds will be on his horse, while as CJ & Magister Ludi posted many of the caws do

Forget about rebates and focus on pool efficiency.

The rebate debate is about the best use of that money.

Should they give volume discounts to attract the biggest potential players or possibly lower the take for everyone by an amount that nets to a similar hit to their bottom line. My guess is they already thought about that and think the large volume rebates are better for them. I'm not sure I agree when discussing the very long term as opposed to medium term.
They obviously think about it, they are just not thinking about it very intelligently.

Last edited by Poindexter; 10-17-2022 at 06:15 PM.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)