Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 03:54 AM   #58
tshinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I have this book...and I'd be more than willing to sell my copy. The problem is that there is no listing for it anywhere on the internet...and I have no idea what price to ask for it. Is anyone out there willing to make me an offer?

One more thing:

During the long period of time that I've been here, I've seen this book mentioned more than a few times...and whenever that happens, everyone here, without exception, showers the book with the sort of praise that we seldom see in connection with a handicapping book. I don't think that even a single person here -- other than me -- has ever made a negative comment of any sort about this book. And yet, whenever a poster requests to buy a copy...no one here ever seems to have a copy to sell. How can a handicapping book that has gotten so many glorious reviews be so hard to locate whenever a customer comes around looking to buy a copy? Is this book really so valuable that no one wants to part with his treasured copy...at ANY price? Is anyone here really using this book as a guide in his current handicapping?

In case there is someone out there who actually has this book, and takes offense at my "criticism" of it...I'd like him to do me a favor before he "sets me straight" about the book's value as a 'handicapping guide'. Would he please turn to page 15-16 of the book, and explain something to me:

There is a race featured there where Jim Lehane takes credit for selecting the eventual winner (Romancer)...who ended up paying $58.50 to win. Lehane selected Romancer as a win-contender off of the horse's last race, where the horse finished 8th by 9.5 lengths, while never running better than 6th or within 6 lengths of the winner at any point in the race...earning a Beyer figure of 39 in the process. And yet, in this same example race, there is a horse on the rail named Diablo's Caper, who ran in the very same race as Romancer last out...and Diablo's Caper led every step of the way until losing by half a length at the wire, while earning a Beyer figure of 62. And this, after the horse BROKE THROUGH THE GATE in that last start. But Diablo's Caper...who defeated Romancer by 9 lengths in their last start...didn't even make Lehane's contender-list in this example race. There is yet another horse in this example race (Battle Cat) who also shows a half-length defeat in its last start, while earning a Beyer figure of 67. And this horse too failed to make Lehane's contender-list...while the soundly beaten horse with the 39 Beyer emerged as a "sound wager". I mean...if Lehane listed these 2 sharp horses as contenders, and then proceeded to eliminate them by some other means...then I would understand. But to cross out these 2 sharper-looking horses at first glance, right from the OUTSET, while accepting the trounced horse as a legitimate contender...is disingenuous to say the least.

This isn't "Next Level" handicapping, IMO...regardless of what Lehane states on the book's cover.
I have the book, tried the method for about six months - better than nothing, but pales in comparison to Pizzola.
tshinder is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)