Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 04:41 AM   #7
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap
My primary goal was to extend the life of my 31/2 year old PC. No moving parts and a 5 year warranty. I was stuck using RAID 0. Did not want to do a fresh new install of widows 7 and load it with AHIC, redo all my settings and re-install my programs. My Dell bios is tricky. Was warned I could not do it easily in the bios. There is some info out there that I could change the RAID 0 drivers to AHIC by editing the registry after windows was already installed. Instead I cloned the SSD in RAID 0 and stayed with RAID 0 afterwards, yes and my backup is my old 2 TB hard drive. And after I find my USB 3 external hard drive I will have 2 backups

The SSD according to Samsung works faster using AHIC. Debatable.
I do vb a database stuff in Excel and it now flies. The AS-SSD benchmark is pretty damn good.
Where?
Your mileage can vary quite a bit with the raid levels, the drivers, the number of drives, the o/s, the firmware, the workload, etc. Here's an interesting thread on the topic:

https://community.spiceworks.com/top...-the-right-way

What I found is that with spinning drives, the math is pretty straight-forward to increase IOPS. We configured 2 TB SATA drives in 13 drive RAID groups to get decent performance, which was around 300 IOPS for a single drive, and 1500 IOPS for the group. This was presented to the Windows server host across HBAs from a Dell storage array.

Then we looked at SSDs connected via an internal 6 Gbps raid controller. Just one SSD (400 GB) returned about 28,000 IOPs. After creating a 9 drive RAID 5 group of SSDs, we saw the number of IOPS climb to about 51,000. This was using small 4K blocks for i/o. When we bumped that block size up to one meg, the IOPS dropped to about 4700.

I'm not sure if we hit a bottleneck with the single controller, of if there were other tweaks needed to bump up the performance. But since it was so much higher than with physical spinning drives, we were happy to move along to other issues.

On a side note, my desktop has a Samsung 250 GB SSD, and it's the nuts. Not sure if I can use the Magician tool with Linux. I'll have to check into that.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)