Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-07-2023, 09:24 PM   #22
Bustin Stones

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryOldMan View Post
Speaking as a long-suffering Maryland taxpayer, this sums it up pretty well. I'd say the ego value extends more broadly to "Maryland" officials, not just "Baltimore", but the end result is the same.

In my view, Maryland horse racing would be best served by having one venue - but that's tough to do in reality. Pimlico is land-locked and Laurel sits on ground that is now deemed more environmentally sensitive than back in "the day" when racetracks were built. I've always thought it made most sense to consolidate at Laurel, but realize there's another point of view.

The Preakness seems to be sacred ground, so to speak, for Maryland politicians. It may take a generational shift before that position changes.
I believe the very ground at Pimlico is an historical place. And that the Preakness should be run there. I don't think the property should be repurposed and the race moved to Laurel. And Maryland benefits commercially from the symbol of Triple Crown ancestry. Maryland should want to preserve both the event and the place where it is run every year. I don't believe it's necessary to sink money into a large grandstand used twice a year in order to ensure this. It will take some money to make the property safe for visitors, but focus on that and the quality of race surface. We want to be fair to the taxpayers in Maryland while continuing to enjoy our traditions.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)