Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 11:53 PM   #114
JJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977 View Post
JJ, how are you using this? Can you sort the data fields a certain way such as horses with highest % trainer/jockey or highest to lowest speed ratings or by fastest time at certain distance or something like that? Just curious. Thanks.

You could certainly do all those things that you mentioned. In my process the original data does not change in that particular way but what I do (not shown in the screen shot) is deploy a multiple staged analysis macro. Calculations are run and the resulting figures are added somewhere within the confines of each entrant's data. Various color coding is assigned to certain attributes (for example certain cells for Turf turn green). Then in another sheet based on that first stage, a "summary" for each horse is compiled and condensed to 1 line per horse. Another round of calculations are done, creating a type of sub-rating and then a final multi-tiered figure emerges which serves as a performance or power rating. This sheet also serves as a database that can then be analyzed further with filtering and other applications to evaluate the effectiveness of whatever methods are being employed.

The reason why I run the calculations based on a display ideal for human reading rather than a simpler (or more complex) programmatical value extraction method is because I find the classic display to be more conducive to the algorithm creation process, more insightful. Calculations that are generated are derived from my own personal trial and error process. A type of visual feedback loop between the running lines and the various handicapping concepts applied occurs which really helps to intuitively identify the critical elements in the refinement process.

I use quite a bit of conditional formatting and color coding as well. I believe it is a very effective way to quickly communicate key information that may otherwise be too mentally taxing if everything was black and white.

As complex as horse racing is with so many variables to contend with, you can never be "too extreme". The flexibility that Excel provides is invaluable and definitely essential for me. Without it, I probably wouldn't even bother. I'll admit that VBA is not the greatest in code execution even after optimizing for speed. My current program takes about 10-15 seconds on average to populate a race, pp generator is something like 1.5 to 2 seconds from I what I see. 15 seconds is definitely tolerable given the benefits. If it took minutes to load I would have to trash it.

I would just add that anyone interested in learning VBA should keep in mind that it can take several years of coding experience before arriving at something you consider professional or of satisfactory quality. However, it would not take as long to get something minimally functional going. If you are already knowledgeable in other languages, you may even consider VBA a "downgrade" but any coding knowledge will provide some degree of foundational principles.
JJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)