Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #21
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip@DRF View Post
Why change it? This format got 2 more TC winners just recently, so it still works. Like with anything difficult to achieve, you have to earn it.
I know Andy Serling brought this up last year, he thought (and I tend to agree) it would have been more difficult to do it in 2020 than in other years, or at least as difficult in a different way. I don't want to misquote him but that was the gist of it. This would be even more true with the Belmont back to 1 1/2 miles and the races run in the same order IMO.

A few reasons I see, first it is harder to keep a horse together for a longer period Right now it is five weeks. If the races were run first May Saturday until July 4th, that is now nine week. Those extra few weeks would almost certainly derail a few horses along the way.

Second, the longer you drag it out, the more likely a few very good, lightly raced "new shooters" pop up and make it tougher. We see some later developing 3yos every year.

There are probably more reasons, but those came to mind right away.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)