Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #166
toddbowker
Todd Bowker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
clockers can barely keep up with the works. I've mentioned this a very long time ago but if you really knew how many of the published works are absolute guesses you'd put next to no faith in published works. Especially right after the break. No way they can clock a dozen horses busting out within a couple minutes of each other.
Depends on the clocker(s), and how many they have.

Once you have some experience, you'll usually have 2-3 watches going, and with splits can keep at least two horses on each one without too much difficulty. Assuming there is more than one clocker on the crew, you'd be surprised at how many can be covered at once. It becomes a dance in the room with people clicking on and off horses based on who takes which one.

I learned from an old-school guy at Ak-Sar-Ben. He was amazing, and was still using mechanical stopwatches. One in each hand and two on the table in front of him. I had a hard time keeping up just writing the tab.

As for having faith in the published workouts, that's another story. Unless you know how good the clocker really is, or are watching/timing yourself, you'll never really know how accurate they are.
toddbowker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.