Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Making a mountain out of a molehill here in my opinion. Yes, it isn't perfectly accurate. It also isn't as bad as is being made out either. The problems can be minimized to an extent, and in the grand scheme of things, exact times at the fractional calls aren't overly important.
I’m actually surprised that one of few people who is recognized as someone who develops these speed figures and supports their reputation for many who use them doesn’t appreciate the significance of the early fractions.

I believe that everything about a race in general is about the start. During those early fractions as the horses are accelerating (in particular) lots of things can take place (like bumping, blocking, changing lanes, etc.) which certainly affect their speed during any portion of a race. How that speed (or energy) is rationed out during the race can very often determine its outcome.

In my estimation, the entire purpose of generating somewhat accurate speed figures was to have the ability to make speed comparisons between different entries having run in different races that are now competing against each other. I would think that they also might provide some insight as to how a race might shape up based on the running styles of each entry and how their past speed profile at each point of call would support that style against the competition.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)