Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 02:05 PM   #28
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Interesting you should mention that.

The thumbnail below shows estimated residual moisture in the ground at Gulfstream a few minutes before post time for R2.

-jp

That data is VERY interesting to me. I didn't even know it was available. Many years ago when I'd go to Belmont/Aqueduct they would display the cushion depth prominently as you entered so you could see if the track was deeper than usual, if the rail was deeper than the outside etc.. I didn't track it and wasn't sharp enough to exploit it, but I used to try to find a pattern in the dead rails and extreme biases that were more common back then.

Today, the tracks seem to be different. Moisture seems to matter a lot.

There may be patterns to speed and closer biases in the moisture content and how it changes during the course of the day. I believe that's the case, but I have no data to support it. It's just based on some observation.

Of course, it could also help making speed figures. If there was a big change in the moisture content and a race came up suspiciously fast or slow, you'd have some evidence to support breaking it out.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)