Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #28
HalvOnHorseracing

Although boxcar is still on ignore, I've discovered if you aren't signed in you can read all the posts from someone on ignore. When he makes a statement like, that is patently false, you can be sure he yanked it out of his ass (highest probability).

With regard to national standards, I'll stand by what I said. Most industries would like only one standard to meet. That is true for air, water, and toxic substances, and for the most part there is only a national standard, with one exception.

Now in the case of boxcar's lawn mower, there are in fact national standards for small engines. Similarly, there are national standards for larger engines (automobiles). When the EPA regulations were promulgated for cars, they allowed California to retain their standard, although no other state can adopt its own standard. They can, however, adopt the California standard. This used to drive vehicle manufacturers nuts - they had to produce one car for CA, and one for the rest of the country. Since that time 11 other states have adopted CA clean car standards. This has become far less of a problem since cars now have between 30 and 100 computers on board to control everything.

Remember the VW diesel fiasco? All software.

Small engines are certified by the EPA (like cars are). California also has proposed amendments to its own small engine standards which go beyond the national standards, although in the past EPA has caught up to CA eventually. Most sales of lawn and garden equipment go to commercial companies. And given California is a huge market, they drive manufacturing of a lot of items. It's not surprising that companies would certify their engines to CA standards, especially considering you don't have the sophisticated on board computers like cars.

California is often the exception to the rule given the size of its problems. Most states simply adopt federal standards. I'm not sure if any other state has separate small engine standards because I didn't bother to google it, but then again I didn't have to google most of this.

Typical boxcar. Find a lawnmower with a CA certification sticker, draw a conclusion about every environmental standard the EPA has promulgated.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most