Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learned Hand35
Teddy's thread got me thinking.

For you veterans of the game, what was the learning curve for you regarding achieving positive ROI or at least negative ROI you could live with until you got back into the black in the next time frame.

My goal after my first year, a realistic one I hoped, was to cut my negative ROI in half. So far this year I have cut it down by a third. My goal was to show my first positive ROI by year four. Don't know if that is going to happen.

Thoughts, experiences, advice?
It largely depends on how much time you have to dedicate to this game. Learning how to play the game, and then handicapping the races in a comprehensive manner, are time consuming activities. As with any other hobby, the more time you dedicate to it, the quicker you will learn.

Certain handicapping books are a must, if you want to take the "fast track" to learning about this game. The bad thing is that even veteran horseplayers do not often agree on which are the most beneficial handicapping books out there.

For what it's worth, here is my list...to be read in the order given:

1. ) HANDICAPPING 101...by Brad Free...OR,
1A) RECREATIONAL HANDICAPPING...by James Quinn

2. ) THE WINNING HORSEPLAYER...by Andrew Beyer

3. ) PACE MAKES THE RACE...by Tom Hambleton and Dick Schmidt (the large softcover one). This book also offers some great money management and self-discipline advice.

Last edited by thaskalos; 09-20-2010 at 10:47 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)