Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 03:38 AM   #10
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I don't think it's a good idea. I think it's a GREAT idea. The only way track paid handicappers are worth the money they make is if they cultivate bettors to learn more and more about how to form their own opinion. That's the way we've all gone from $2.00 to $20.00 to $200.00 players. Just touting them won't do it. They have to feel the way it does when, without anyone's help, they smoke out a 9-1 shot and $156.00 exacta. In this day and age of ADW's and inter track presentations the day is already pretty much presented as a 4 1/2 television show anyway. Analysis and comments on replays is already an integral part of most mainstream sports broadcasts. Why should horse racing be any different. Also make sure there's a way to archive the "over the replay" comments so people can refer to it later in the day or when a horse from that race runs back. IMO you're 100% on the right track. I say go for it
The unfortunate thing is that the track handicapper is employed by the track with the short-sighted objective of generating a bigger handle for the track TODAY...instead of aiming for educating the crowd so they could become more confident bettors down the road. To the tracks...a bird in the hand is worth more than ten birds in the bush. That's why we see the track handicapper offering selections on every single race...which is the anathema of competent horseplay.

If a track handicapper ever tried to truly "educate" the crowd...he would surely talk himself out of a job.

» Advertisement