Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #73
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryesteve
But since "k" always has the same spoken sound and "c" doesn't, wouldn't "Lukas" have been the correct phonetic spelling anyway?

You are wrong because how would you know if you only heard the pronunciation of the word? Also, when “C” and “K” can be used interchangeably, phonetically they have the same sound. For example: cat and Kat, car and kar, cram, and kram, kart and cart, etc.

Therefore what is learned and taught is that we spell by sound, but alternate spellings are sometimes used even though the word is the same.

In general usage, “lucas” is probably spelled more consistently with the “C” usage and from a phonetic point of view it could be either “K” or “C,” but from a personal preference point of view, I assume that D. Wayne prefers “K.”

However PA, your original resplendent off-topic response in this thread definitely gives me pause for thought about your voracity to respond to a topic in a concise manner.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Last edited by Cratos; 09-12-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)