Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 12:28 AM   #33
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBedo
This begs the question (which I have pondered with no real conclusions):

Is is better to bet a 25% takeout and get a 15% rebate, or bet the same race with a 10% takeout and no rebate? Are there any structural differences?

My first thought is that there could be a difference in how the public plays, since the difference between 10% and 25% takeout will affect the odds of favorites, possibly changing the attractiveness, and obviously, the impact on longshot prices would be seen as well. I'm interested in what others think.
An interesting question, CBedo!

One's individual decision would seem likely based on a combination of their own ROI at that particular track and the available rebate (as constrained by the track take).

Another random thought.....higher takeout tracks take lesser successful handicappers out of the game quicker, as it grinds down their bankrolls down quicker. If those players are not replaced with equally or less skilled handicappers, would this not imply that the remaining pool players will tend to be on the sharper side, thus making it harder for us to win?
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement