Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #93
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
Chip Reese (RIP) one of the most successful gamblers out there told a story: He was on his way to visit his mother for a holiday of some sort. He stopped on the way for a poker game and won $20,000. It was cash of course. When he got to his mother's house he had to put it somewhere, so he threw it in the freezer. He had a good time and went home. Some months later, his mother called. She said 'I found a loaf of money in the freezer; is it yours?'

I thought that was telling. If you make a 20k score and have the ability to look at it as a part of your bankroll, or simply a score keeping device, one can be ok. If that 20k is a means to pay off a mortgage, or use to buy something, or something you would think about, it will be tough to be professional in racing/gambling, imo.
Most of the very successful "gamblers" I have ever known (like Chip), have all had the quality of having almost total disregard for the value of a dollar (how else do you forget 20k in a freezer?). Dollars are just something used to bet and keep score, like chips in poker. They are not afraid to make the wagers they need to make because of fear of losing it.

P.S. I was lucky enough to play some poker with Chip, and he was not only a great card player, but a great guy as well. His calm cool and nice guy demeanor at the poker table would lull people to sleep where he would murder them at the table.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)