Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Changing leads
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #18
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Lots of people can talk about a horse changing leads and it can be noticed when it happens...but the exact mechanics of the swap remains a mystery to me...some have said there is a slight studder step (what is that?) involved...but really I think it is just which hoof the horse reaches the farthest out with at any given time...would appreciat some slow motion video on this that shows what exactly is going on...it is interesting that trainers can train the horses to to it...the jockey lets the horse know when sometimes...are there any experts out there who can tell us more...?

I will try and help you.

Horses run with one leg extended and one leg for support. Trainers do not teach that. That is how they run. There is no playing with that.
But... because they were made to run in open space and we have them run on ovals, they need to use the inside( left) leg to go around left handed turns turns. Therefore, they use the outside leg to lead on the straightaways.
If you cannot see this switch happen in any replay, google a barrel event or cutting horse video. They go around very sharp turns. You will see them use their inside leg as the lead leg no matter what direction they go in.

You need to watch the legs ONLY of any horse in any race that you can see.
Do not watch anything else.
Most will switch just as they start to straighten away turning for home.
they will slide about 2-3 feet to the right as they turn for home.
This switching is what causes horses to check out of inside positions just before turns. More on that later.
Once you see this, try it on yourself. You will look like a total tool box so do it alone. For everyone's sake Lol.
Do it on carpet if you can.
check your footprints.
You will notice that your running line shifts by the width of you body because your legs are on the outer edges of your torso.
Same with horses which is why a horse inside with a small hole will have that hole close up when the horses in front switch.
Once you see it, it will start to make sense.
At that point, ask another question that I can help you with.
Hope that helps for starters.

Last edited by Ruffian1; 03-22-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)